Wednesday, September 14, 2005

New TiVo arrived!

The new TiVo arrived a bit more quickly than I expected. Things are working well so far and I think I have most of the season passes set up again. (I ended up hooking up my 15 inch Apple display to the old TiVo and doing a sort of poor man's picture in picture to make sure I had things correct on the new TiVo.)

A few observations for now... more later once I've had it running for a while:

- TiVo's activation web page went down right around the time I started trying to get activated… I'm not sure if it took or not, and of course TiVo's support number closes at 8 pm and it was about 8:05 when I realized this. Oh well. Luckily there's a grace period for a new box before it gets grouchy about that.
- You can't watch a DVD before guided setup completes as far as I can tell (though I didn't actually try)
- There's no subtitle button… it's buried inside the Settings. Bummer. Instead I get the Angle button on the remote… does anyone actually use that feature?
- I can't figure out how to show time remaining on the built in display when playing a DVD.
- Picture quality seems fine to me so far. Using the component inputs probably gives it somewhat of an advantage over my old TiVo which uses S-Video.
- Playing DVDs with the TiVo UI is pretty cool (time bar at the bottom, instant replay, slow motion, etc.)

4 comments:

darren said...

Hey that looks neat Jason. Do you know when Veronica Mars is playing again and are you going to record it? Anyway hope it all works out, getting it set up that is. No worries catch you!

Darren

Jason Townsend said...

Hi Darren!

The Veronica Mars season premiere is Wednesday, September 28. I'm definitely going to record it on the new TiVo. Lost will be on the old TiVo, so I'll be able to make DVDs of it.

Currently it would be two episodes to a DVD if I record in high quality.

-Jason

Jason Townsend said...

I meant to say that I will make DVDs of Veronica Mars. There's a time conflict with Lost which is why it matters which TiVo it's recorded on.

Natalie Townsend said...

yay for the new TiVo and its DVD capabilities! Can't wait for VM to start again. We have the first episode of the second season of Medium to watch tonight! Everwood and Numb3rs are starting up again soon too I think. woohoo!